Tuesday 2 October 2012

Studio Workshop 28/09/12 - Task Response

Here's my response to the task set at the end of the studio workshop on Friday 28th September, ready for the next workshop.


Here is what I did from the studio workshop with Fred on Friday 28th September.

List as many as possible in both Want and Need for skills, products, research, portfolio and questions.

Skills
Want:
  1. type and layout understanding for publications
  2. work presentation at the end of the module
  3. be more experimenting with my work
  4. produce high end quality work
  5. book binding - so can do better publications
  6. motivation - don't let it die down
  7. communication skills - to contact studios/professionals
  8. networking with other creative people
  9. use more textures and depths in my work
  10. personal branding - website, business card, etc
  11. consider using more than just black and white colour scheme
  12. branding development - know more than just the usual
  13. packaging design/3D designs
  14. print finishes
  15. working with printers
  16. working on live briefs with proper clients
  17. better knowledge of html & web in general
  18. how to design a typeface
  19. push ideas/concepts further
  20. problem solving
Need:
  1. research skills
  2. work presentation at the end of module
  3. the use of colour
  4. understanding of print production
  5. web/digital skills and understanding
  6. photography of final pieces
  7. blogging - keep on top of it at all times
  8. time management - work out and stick to it
  9. confidence with myself and my work
  10. communication with studios/professionals
  11. experimentation with what I am working on
  12. lazer cutting - haven't tried it and want to
  13. asking for constant feedback from peers
  14. face to face communication
  15. be prepared for possibilities of new technology
  16. the ability to adapt to a clients wants and needs
  17. saving files correctly for print/web
  18. how to communicate my ideas
  19. selecting appropriate typefaces
  20. being more daring with experimentations

Products
Want:
  1. publication - stock consideration, printing, binding, presenting
  2. poster series - keep creative skills flowing and use to practice presentation
  3. direct mail representing myself to send out to professionals
  4. high quality printed material
  5. sexy print
  6. own designed typeface
  7.  
  8.  
  9.  
  10.  
  11.  
  12.   
  13.  
  14.  
  15.  
  16.  
  17.  
  18.  
  19.  

Need:
  1. business card - have designed just need to get printed
  2. build on my web presence - update website, etc
  3. digital outcomes
  4. more variety of products
  5. refreshed logo for cafes
  6. range of products suitable for both eat in and take away in a cafe
  7. direct mail containing samples of my work to send to studios
  8. strong personal online presence
  9.  
  10.  
  11.  
  12.  
  13.  
  14.  
  15.  
  16.  
  17.  
  18.  
  19.  
  20.  

Research
Want:
  1. how to improve on type and layout skills
  2. different ways to do publications and book binding
  3. keep up to date with design world
  4. find more design studios I like and want to contact
  5. events relating to GD and my dissertation subject to go visit
  6. more possible live briefs and competitions
  7. life after uni
  8. batman!
  9. different stocks
  10. effective ways to present my final pieces
  11. what makes a good layout
  12. where would I fit within the design industry
  13. good typography designers/studios
  14. more ways to find inspiration
  15. more work that I like for my DC blog
  16. large format printing
  17. colour theory
  18. who would be my ideal client?
  19. what would be my dream job
  20. how to make things look extra sexy
Need:
  1. how to do branding effectively and not just so it is sexy
  2. limitations within engraving a design into a solid
  3. distribution of work - how else could I get work out there?
  4. how to work with a printer on a project
  5. more possible live briefs and projects
  6. how to get studio visits and placements
  7. how the design industry is changing
  8. how is GD evolving
  9. difference between layout for print and screen
  10. other creatives to possibly collaborate with
  11. how to collaborate effectively
  12. how to not waste time/procrastinate
  13. the way professionals approach a brief
  14. most effective way to push a brief
  15. thoroughly into brief subjects
  16. variety of stocks available to use
  17. what the difference is between designing for print and web
  18. how to keep things visually consistent over print and web
  19. most sexy typeface
  20. my favourite typeface

Portfolio
Want:
  1. range of work showcasing type and layout skills
  2. good representation of myself and my work
  3. work presented to a high level
  4. a variety of live briefs - different to every other brief
  5. my strengths in my design practice
  6. show my interest in print
  7. show the skills I have
  8. reflect the kind of designer I want to be
  9. a focused amount of work on design I'm interested in
  10. more self initiated briefs
  11. appeal to the designer looking at it
  12. strong branding on it and the layout of it
  13. reflect the type of designer I want to be
  14. show confidence with what I do
  15. to impress people
  16. make person looking at its initial reaction to be a good one
  17. to be visually interesting
  18. stand out above everyone else
  19. make sure it isn't boring or too generic
  20. to be happy with it
Need:
  1. diverse range of projects within different areas of GD
  2. not just well known competition briefs
  3. showcase a good understanding of GD
  4. work I am proud of and would love to talk about
  5. focused work
  6. good presentation
  7. my own work
  8. visually consistent with the layout
  9. strong
  10. to be something that I am proud of
  11. more than one aspect of a project
  12. more quality work and not focus on quantity
  13. targeted for studio/professional looking at it
  14. cover all aspects of design skills, then narrow down
  15. show how I work
  16. clear and easy to work out what is what
  17. what I like
  18. show how serious I am about design 
  19. show where I would like to progress with my work
  20. be sexy

Questions
Want:
  1. am I enjoying what I am doing?
  2. does this work still/actually interest me?
  3. do I want to do this work?
  4. is this good enough to get me a job?
  5. can I do a work placement in your studio?
  6. what do you think of my work?
  7. am I proud of the work that I am doing?
  8. have I put as much time and effort in as I know I can?
  9. do I have time for another brief?
  10. what would be my perfect brief?
  11. is this the sort of project I would like to work on in the future?
  12. does this typeface look nice?
  13. is this working?
  14. am I having fun?
  15. shall I take this project?
  16. is this live brief suitable for my portfolio?
  17. would doing this brief be beneficial?
  18. will I enjoy working on this project?
  19. am I having fun?
  20. do I know all of the essentials?
Need:
  1. is this work to the best of my ability?
  2. what more could I do with this?
  3. is this how I imagined this would work out? worse/better?
  4. am I getting good feedback on my work to help me improve?
  5. will I make it as a graphic designer?
  6. would someone buy my work?
  7. how will I get a job?
  8. will I produce enough work in response to the module?
  9. do I stand out?
  10. am I using my time effectively?
  11. am I balancing my work load appropriately?
  12. have I got enough time to do this effectively?
  13. is any aspect of my life suffering for another?
  14. am I too focused on one area of design?
  15. where would I fit in the design industry?
  16. who would be my ideal client to work for?
  17. am I going to survive the rest of this course?
  18. can I really do this?
  19. does this type work?
  20. am I thinking far enough ahead for the future?

From these now, I need to choose 10 wants and 10 needs for my ultimate lists, and explain more detail about these. This needs to be wrote on to a big piece of paper to put up on the studio walls in the next session.

No comments:

Post a Comment