Thursday 25 October 2012

Make My Mark - Typeface?

Considering the fact that I am going to be explaining projects and the point of actually sending out the direct mail to studios, I need to use a typeface within it that I feel best represents me and who I am. I want to use a sans serif typeface, that isn't too bold because I am not the most confident of people, but I want it to show that I am confident with what I do. I want it to flow easily between the words, and sit on the page in a light, comfortable way.

Starting with the typeface that I selected for myself last year, which was Gill Sans, I started to experiment with different weights, point sizes and leading to see which I feel would best suit to represent me and my work. When I was doing these experiments, I printed them out as I went along because after all, it is a print document that I am aiming to produce, so to see them printed is the most obvious way to decide. So I printed them all, but forgot to screen shot them too - oops! So I have scanned in all of the experiments to show my decision making.

First, taking the typeface, I experimented with the size and leading using the short blurb I have of me on my website. Columns left to right are 8pt, 9pt, 10pt and 11pt, and then top to bottom of each column the leading is 10pt, 11pt, 12pt, 13pt and 14pt. The one that stands out the most to me to use is at 9pt on 13pt.


Using this size and leading, I then used it in columns using a description from my website for one of my projects. I used a lengthy one to see how it works with a bigger word count covering more area. I also experimented on this one then with different typefaces for the project title. I used different weights of the copy typeface, as well as a couple others.


I particularly like the title on the right column - Gothem. This typeface has really taken my fancy lately.


So I decided to experiment with using this for the body copy. At first I experimented with looking at the different weights of the typeface (which I didn't end up printing or screen shotting), and chose the 'extra light' and 'light' versions to work the best for how I am imagining I would like it to look. So, using the same as before, I tried both these weights in the different sizes and leading. The left one is 'extra light' and the right one is 'light'.


I prefer the 'extra light' weight of the typeface, and from this I am most drawn to the 8pt on 14pt. It is light on the page and gives a lighter tone to using a lower leading amount.


So then, going back to my next experiment I did with the previous typeface, I changed the columns to the new size and leading typeface that I have chosen, and because I prefer this typeface for the heading too, I experimented with the different weights again to possibly use. Starting from the left it goes 'medium', 'bold', 'black' and 'ultra'. From these I prefer the 'medium' weight. It isn't too tark against the body copy but still stands out.


I had a quick experiment with the pt size for the titles as well. Starting from the left, it goes 10pt, 11pt, 12pt and 13pt. I prefer the 10pt, because it doesn't stand too much off the body copy size.


So now I'm pretty happy with my decisions on this, I then got information and titles from other projects on my website to apply this to as well in within the columns. I think it works really well and do think that it represents me and the way that I am also. Confident with what it is doing but not too overly confident and in your face. Nice. I've also got this on a screen shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment