Tuesday 2 October 2012

Studio Workshop 28/09/12

Here is what I did from the studio workshop with Fred on Friday 28th September.

List as many as possible in both Want and Need for skills, products, research, portfolio and questions.

Skills
Want:

  • type and layout understanding for publications
  • work presentation at the end of the module
  • be more experimenting with my work
  • produce high end quality work
  • book binding - so can do better publications
  • motivation - don't let it die down
  • communication skills - to contact studios/professionals
  • networking with other creative people
Need:
  • research skills
  • work presentation at the end of module
  • the use of colour
  • understanding of print production
  • web/digital skills and understanding
  • photography of final pieces
  • blogging - keep on top of it at all times
  • time management - work out and stick to it
  • confidence with myself and my work

Products
Want:
  • publication - stock consideration, printing, binding, presenting
  • poster series - keep creative skills flowing and use to practice presentation
  • direct mail representing myself to send out to professionals
Need:
  • business card - have designed just need to get printed
  • build on my web presence - update website, etc

Research
Want:
  • how to improve on type and layout skills
  • different ways to do publications and book binding
  • keep up to date with design world
  • find more design studios I like and want to contact
  • events relating to GD and my dissertation subject to go visit
  • more possible live briefs and competitions
  • life after uni
Need:
  • how to do branding effectively and not just so it is sexy
  • limitations within engraving a design into a solid
  • distribution of work - how else could I get work out there?
  • how to work with a printer on a project
  • more possible live briefs and projects
  • how to get studio visits and placements

Portfolio
Want:
  • range of work showcasing type and layout skills
  • good representation of myself and my work
  • work presented to a high level
  • a variety of live briefs - different to every other brief
Need:
  • diverse range of projects within different areas of GD
  • not just well known competition briefs
  • showcase a good understanding of GD
  • work I am proud of and would love to talk about

Questions
Want:
  • am I enjoying what I am doing?
  • does this work still/actually interest me?
  • do I want to do this work?
  • is this good enough to get me a job?
  • can I do a work placement in your studio?
  • what do you think of my work?
  • am I proud of the work that I am doing?
  • have I put as much time and effort in as I know I can?
Need:
  • is this work to the best of my ability?
  • what more could I do with this?
  • is this how I imagined this would work out? worse/better?
  • am I getting good feedback on my work to help me improve?
  • will I make it as a graphic designer?
  • would someone buy my work?
  • how will I get a job?

Task
Have a minimum of 20 responses for each columns and add more detail to them - be specific and open.
From these then identify 10 wants and 10 needs that are the most important and write on to a big piece of paper and explain why.

No comments:

Post a Comment