Saturday 13 October 2012

B&W - Other Entries

On the competition page (link) they have a link out for you to see the entries that have already been submitted to the competition by others. I decided to have a good nosey through these before getting on this brief to see what the competition is like and if there's any really good/really shit ones already entered to keep in mind.


The general observation to them all (this is just a few!), it's mostly hand drawn illustrations of flowers, butterflies and birds. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just think after looking through a hell of a lot of them they all start to pretty much look the same. There are a few more simple ones that stand out a bit amongst them though.

One thing that occurred to me half way through looking is that people have concentrated mostly on the hand drawn to generate the patterns, and more of a natural sort of design. I've decided that I want to go the opposite way to this (because I think this will make my designs stand out when looking through them all). 

Also, aside from 2 designs (actually one that had just been reversed in colour) no others use type, and being more of a type driven person I noticed this fairly quickly and am definitely going to use this to my advantage and use type. I have decided then that this will be the underlying thing to my brief, and to also try and step away from the hand drawn designs and try more digitally developed designs. 

Type driven surface patterns. Hmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment