Tuesday 22 November 2011

WIDFP? - Rotary Printing

Again, as I explained whilst putting the digital printing layout together, I am having to make some big compromises in order to be finished on time. I haven't done a full on extensive research into this area for the manual so I am having to use what I have got. I wish that I had have spent more time on this manual and sooner too as I know I could have done a lot better job on it and included a lot more as well.

The information that will be used on the layout then will be:

Rotary Printing
In this process the image printing plates are wrapped around a cylinder. This is an automated print process and the material to be printed can be sheet fed or on a roll.

The 3 main types of rotary printing, including offset lithography, rotogravure and flexography. Offset Lithography is etched aluminium plates wrapped around a cylinder transfer ink to an 'offset' rubber blanket roller and then to print surface, sheet fed or web fed. Rotogravure is copper plates (with mirror image) transfer ink directly to print surface, usually on rolls.
The advantage is that plates are more durable and so are good for long print runs. Flexography is positive, mirror image rubber polymer plate, on a cylinder, transfers 'sticky' ink directly to print surface, usually roll feed.

I know there is a whole lot more to know about this kind of printing, and I could probably do a full manual just on this but as I explained, my time management skills have let me down and I am having to do it like this.

Layout
I will begin by putting the layout the same as what I have used for the other print processes. I had left a dps for this section as I felt like I would have needed it, but due to the small amount of information I will just use a single page.



For the other page that is now being unused, I have decided to include a full page image of something that I took whilst at Team that I think is appropriate to use.


It's just an image that I took from the top of the stairs that gives an overview of one of the sections to their place. I think it is fitting for using on the first proper page in the manual after the contents page because it is a nice image to see to begin with.


As for the image(s) that I will use on the rotary page, I will first look through the Team photos. I have a great image of an etched plate that had just been produced that I will use for this layout.


The layout now looks like this:


I think having the image of the printing plate works well for this page as each one uses printing plates for their process, and having it sit next to the overview image of team, which is essentially an image of a litho machine anyway, I think it makes the dps work really well.





No comments:

Post a Comment