Monday 21 November 2011

WIDFP? - Print Finishes

I printed out the research that I have found on my design context blog and highlighted the points I felt were best suited to use within the information I will use. For the print finishes research I looked at Spot UV Varnish, Foil Blocking, Die Cutting, Embossing and Debossing.

images of notes


I typed up the points for each of the finished, and wrote a quick couple of sentences into to the section. I didn't want to go into too much technical detail with this section as I just wanted to really have a quick point of how it could be achieved, and what it would add to the design basically. I guess for most people this would be the 'exciting' part to designing making it look fancy and different, so I wanted to keep the information so that it gives who ever is reading it a brief over view of it and will still perceive it to be just as exciting, if not more.


Print Finishes
Print finishing is a term generally used to define anything done to a print after it has been printed. There are a number of reasons for using a print finish, some commercial, some personal.

Spot UV Varnish
Spot UV varnish is generally a screen printed process where certain areas of design are ‘picked out’ and the varnish is applied only to these areas to make them leap off the page. On deep colours, it results in a stunning, almost wet appearance. The obvious matt and gloss options are widely used but you can also have textured and glitter varnishes too. This finish can be used to create some beautiful effects, such as patterns and shapes, or to highlight certain areas within the printed design to make it stand out.

Embossing
Embossing is a process used to raise areas of a surface above the level of the rest, making them stand out and receive more stunning results. There are two ways to emboss: dry embossing and heat embossing. Dry embossing is done using a stylus, stencil and a few other supplies. Heat embossing is done using special powder, ink and a heat source. Embossing is usually used to achieve a special surface texture, and can sometimes help to make a point or draw attention from what would be a flat printed document.

Debossing
Debossing is a process that is used to create a depressed pattern in the surface of a design, enhancing the appearance of otherwise plain and boring prints. An electronic sealing machine is used to press a die into the surface of the stock, creating depressions, and is a technique that will never peel or flake of as it’s a permanent impression. It can be achieved with or without he use of ink or foil, and can be an easy way to make a design stand out from others.

Foil Blocking
Foil blocking is the process of applying metallic or ‘foil’ effects to a surface, where the application of pigment or metallic foil to a stock where a heated die is stamped onto the foil, making it adhere to the surface leaving the design of the die on the print. The design for this can either be chemically etched or crafted by hand from supplied artwork, and creates effects, which are practically impossible to achieve using traditional ink printing. It can transform conventionally printed materials and make them shine, as well as add texture and elegance to a design.

Die Cutting
Die cutting is when the shape of the print is altered or cut to enhance the purpose of the design to grab attention by straying away from the norm. It works by having a series of blades set into a block to create single unbroken but irregular edges and can be combined with scoring to create folds. For instance, rounded corners on a business card can denote elegance and superiority, whilst a fun die could be used to portray a certain theme or personality to a design.


Images 
I have decided to wait to decide on what images to use for this section of the manual as I don't want to loose sight of the actual layout with the pretty pictures, so I will get a basic layout idea then make decisions on images. I am torn between using images of the actual finishes or what is used to actually make this - basically because I have a great image of an example of what is used to die cut that would be good to include, and images of a foil blocking machine. Although I am not sure if I could use these anyway because I don't have images like this for all of the finishes. I will decide once I am happy with a layout idea.


Layout
I have used this section across a dps. I want to keep it quite uniform in terms of the order of the information and images when I decide on them so that it is clear and easy to work out what example is for what basically.


I have put the information into columns across the dps, keeping them all lined by their titles. I think this is simple, and then if I keep the images within these columns when putting them on it will keep it simple and easy to work out.


Had a quick look at having the information go across the bottom of the dps instead and quite prefer it like this so I will include the images above these instead.


Then I moved the section title and brief description up to the top of the mage again, which will now line up with the top of the images once I add them.


No comments:

Post a Comment