Monday 21 November 2011

WIDFP? Print Handbook - Glossary

I have decided it would be a good idea to include a glossary within the manual to cover points that I haven't necessarily covered within the other points in it, or to clear up anything that may have been mentioned that is unclear. I won't include the same points within this to what is in the rest of the book, like CMYK for example, I will try and focus more on the ones that aren't there or that need more information.

From the list of words I have on the glossary post (here), the terms I think I should include in my handbook are:

  • additive colour
  • against the grain
  • artwork
  • bind
  • body
  • choke
  • coated paper
  • colour balance
  • colour gamut
  • colour model
  • colour sequence
  • colour shift
  • commercial printer
  • composite proof
  • composition
  • creep
  • crop marks
  • cross over
  • dots per inch
  • DPI
  • duplex paper
  • finish
  • flat colour
  • flood
  • format
  • gutter
  • hue
  • imposition
  • ink balance
  • layout
  • leading
  • leaf
  • margin
  • opacity
  • page
  • proof
  • resolution
  • scale
  • score
  • spread
  • tint
  • with the grain

There are quite a few here for me to work with, but I think I will be fine including them within a dps.

Layout
To begin with, I will just put the information on to the layout to get a good idea of the area that it covers before I start to try and get 'fancy' with it.


The amount of points that there are covers quite a lot of the dps, more than I had anticipated actually.


Shifting them over a column, I like the white space that has formed down the left of the layout. It is almost acting as some sort of breather before 'diving' into the copy.


As I'd moved the columns across this meant I could increase the column lengths a little more which reduced the coverage to almost just 4 columns, so I removed one of the points that I didn't feel was really necessary leaving me with 4 columns of body copy now to work with.


I mover everything across again one column so that the second page was full of 3 columns and the 4th remains on the left column along with the section title.


Playing around a little with the columns and points within them, I achieved them to be all identical in terms of the all start and finish at the same points within the columns, and none of the points splits over two columns which I think just keeps the whole thing looking a lot better. I am happy with this layout as it is, although I may consider putting a sentence or two just to introduce the section which will go just under the title in that column.


No comments:

Post a Comment