Sunday 20 November 2011

WIDFP? - Colour Systems

The next section of the manual I have decided to work on is the colour systems. I have a variety of subheading that I want to include within this section. In my research I have looked at things like colour models, multi tone images, pantone, spot colour, and black. I will include a section for each of these. Before I make any decisions for layouts of what will go where, I did the whole printing my research and highlighted the points that I want to include within what I write, which can be seen here:

images of notes


I then put together the information that will be included within each section within this section. I will then use these to help determine what imagery to include for each.


Colour Systems
Understanding colour systems is technical, essential knowledge for better control over any design for print. It is an orderly system for creating a whole range of colours from a small set of primary colours. The two most common colour models are Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black (CMYK), which is a print based colour model, and Red, Green and Black (RGB), which is a screen based colour model.

CMYK
Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Key (black) are the four basic colours used for printing colour images by each separate colour being printed onto the stock in layers of dots that combine to create the illusion of more colours. Consequently, black (K) cannot be achieved by over printing CMY inks, which is why it is introduced in addition to these. CMYK is a ‘subtractive’ colour model, which is the result of reflected light meaning the colours get darker as they are blended together, as opposed to RGB which is an ‘additive’ colour model that is the result of transmitted light, meaning the colours get lighter as they are blended.

Spot Colour
A spot colour is specially mixed coloured inks used in printing that are pre defined and can be reproduced at any time. It refers to a method of specifying and printing colours in which each colour is printed with its own ink as opposed to being printed using the CMYK process, and makes the use of metallic or fluorescent inks a possibility to be produced. It is an effective way to reduce costs of a print job if just one to three colours are being printed as it reduces the number of printing plates being used. There are different brands of spot colour inks, but the most widely used system that is used is the Pantone Matching System (PMS).

Pantone
Pantone is a popular colour matching system used within the printing industry to pre define a specific colours used within designs. These are usually specified using the Pantone name or number, and assures that the right colour will be seen once it is printed and remains as consistent as possible. It keeps colours from varying across mediums, and is the best way to ensure in situations when a corporate logo/brand colour is being used that the right colour is always achieved.

Black
Unlike on a computer monitor, where there is only one way to represent black, when printing there is a variety of ways it can be achieved. The simplest is ‘plain black’, or 100% black ink (0C, 0M, 0Y, 100K). There is also a way to achieve a ‘rich black’ by also printing other inks within the black area. There are many possible ink combinations for this, but the most common contains a percentage of all 4 inks – 63C, 52M, 51Y, 100K. Other possible flavours of ‘rich black’ include ‘cool black’ – 60C, 0M, 0Y, 100K, and ‘warm black’ – 0C, 60M, 30C, 100K.

Multi-tone Images
Monotone –a greyscale image consisting of continuous tones and shades produced by using just one spot coloured ink to achieve a variety of shades, tones and tints of that colour.
Duotone – a greyscale image that is printed using two spot coloured inks to achieve a variety of shades, tones and tints of these colours.
Tritone – a greyscale image made up of the tones and shades of three spot coloured inks to achieve a variety of shades, tones and tints of these.
Quadtone – a greyscale image that is printed using four spot coloured inks to achieve a variety of shades, tones and tints of these colours.


Images
Now that I have the information I can now plan and produce what I want to include for each. Starting with the CMYK section, I have decided that this will be the first page for this section, and will include both the 'intro' to the section and also the information about the colour model, and I will include images of the different gamuts for both CMYK and RGB, as well as the colour circles that I have found in my research.

For the colour gamut image, I don't know how to go about producing one of these off the top of my head, so this will have to be one that I use Google for. If I do get time I will have a go at producing one myself but for now this will have to do. I will use this one, but take off the text so that I can add my own using the right size and typeface.


The circles I made on Illustrator are here:



Layout
I started putting this page together, I also have decided to include the description on the black as well on this page but this doesn't really need an image.


I just started playing with the actual positioning for the images that I have decided to use.


I added all the information I have decided to use on this page, and experimented with the positioning with the gamut image first with the information now on there.


I started then playing around with everything on there, and added the information to the gamut image as I said I would although I am not really feeling this page at all. I haven't really referenced the whole gamut thing within the information on the page so I don't think it is really necessary. Also, I don't know if it is just me but I am not entirely sure if the colour circles really compliment the information well either. I understand what they are demonstrating but just doesn't feel right.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Images
I have decided to have a look through the images that I have taken at Team to see if any of these would be appropriate for the layout and I found these four that could.



I particularly like the way that the colour has been captured on the bottom right image, so I will use this one and crop it down so that the focus is just on the colour section.

Layout


I moved the information to consist of just one column, and added the image to the page. I wanted to grasp as much of the colour within the image because it looks quite vibrant and looks nice, so I had the image bleed off the edge of the page. I think this works and sits quite nice now, and with the information that is on the page it is quite fitting. Also, I figured it would also compliment the next page as well as I am going to be putting the spot colour and pantone information on there so it could work for either really in my opinion.


Images
So the next page I will focus on is the one containing the information about spot colour and pantone. As explained previous, the image on the CMYK page could also compliment the information on this page, so I am looking to keep it quite simple so that it doesn't take the focus away from it. Remembering back to last year when we did colour theory, I took images of pantone books for a task that we had so I have found these out to see if any of these images could work for this layout as I would rather use one of these than use one from  the internet. I found them (eventually) and the ones I think could work are:




I cropped a few down for possibilities to use on the layout.



Layout
Not entirely sure which to use so I placed them all on and then decided then.


I do like the close up image that I have, but it doesn't really go well with the red in the other image which I am a bit gutted about so I can't really use it, therefore I'm going to have to use the other one. I do like this anyway because it shows sort of like a section of the range available. I couldn't use the other image that I cropped because it would have meant me increasing its original size which is a definite no no.


I just put the information and image in places to experiment but I'm not really feeling this page at all.


I extended the image from the left page to spill over to the right one. I put the information down the right side of the page so that it balances up with the left side. I have kept the image of the pantone book at the bottom of this column  but I'm still not 100% about this layout so I will leave it for now and come back to it to have a second go at some point.

Image
I have decided to have a full page dedicated to the multi tone images section of this point so that I can have decent sized examples of what I am talking about on there as I think it would be easier to understand. As time is quickly ticking away, I have decided that for now just so that I can get the basis of the layout together I will use the experiments that I did in one of the workshops for the images. In this we only did monotone and duotone, so I will use both twice just to get the basic idea, and then once I am further with the book I will produce my own versions using an image from Team and show each of the 4 multi tone images.



Layout
I want a straightforward layout for this page to avoid any confusion with is, so I will set the images up uniform with eachother with the information underneath.


Despite not having the correct images as of yet, I am quite pleased with how this layout sits. I will definitely come back to this to put the correct images on there for examples of the information, and will try and get a similar colour to what I have on there because it looks quite good.

No comments:

Post a Comment