Wednesday 2 November 2011

Good Is... - Purest Blue?

In order to ensure the blue that I use within my work represents the 'purest' blue, I started looking for images that has water in them that looks completely pure and clean and nice. I want to make sure I get this right as if I was to use something that could look a bit cloudy or anything like that then it could reflect bdly from the point of view of what Puritee is trying to achieve.

I typed 'Purest Blue' into google to see what came up.






Then I typed in 'Purest Water' to see what came up.





Then I typed in just 'water' to see what came up.






Also, I had a quick look at existing water bottles to see the types of blue they use.









In order to choose what is the purest blue that I will go on to use for the blue within my project, I zoomed in on each of these images and took tiny screen shots of the blue in them. For a few of the images I took 2 for where there are two distinctively different blues.







I put these into Illustrator and used the colour picker on each, and then created a colour swatch which I will then use to decide what colour to use that will best represent my idea.


I sat with Baljeet for 10 minutes and narrowed down the colours, deleting the ones that we thought didn't represent 'pure' as well as others. I ended up with these:


I have decided that because I am intending on just using 1 spot colour plus stock, I will probably use tints of the colour too, so I did a tint swatch for each of the colours to help with the decision making.











I found when I did this that the lighter colours work better as tints than the darker ones and once they get to like 60% they start to look quite grey, which doesn't really represent pure really well. Also, the really light colour once it gets below 40% is too like and can hardly see it so I will choose one of the middle blues. 

I narrowed down these 10 tint swatches to 5, for me to then make a decision from.


I decided to help me make a decision as to which one I use, because after putting the narrowed down 5 together in order from dar to light, it's obvious that there isn't actually that much difference between each of the swatches, especially the middle 3. So I printed these off and asked a few people around me to choose which one they think is the purest blue from these 5, the results were:

image of primary research

So, from the results, the colour that I will go on to use throughout the rest of this brief will be:


CMYK - C = 69, M = 18, Y = 4, K = 0.1


1 comment: