Thursday 24 May 2012

YCN Feel Good - A&B Description in Typeface

When Beth was developing the logos, she produced colour wheels for colour swatches for each drink using colours relating to the flavours. These are what have been decided to be used when producing anything else for this project. The colour wheels will be on Beths blog.  

Using the one for Apple and Blueberry, I played around with possible colour combinations that we could have for the descriptions.


I think it would be nicer to have a combination of the colours, rather than just one, so I experimented with that. I tried making the majority of the copy all one colour, then used another on the words apple and blueberry to make them stand out with them being the actual flavour of the drink. I tried different combinations of this.





I like this as it makes the drink flavour stand out even at first glance. Even so, I decided to push this further by introducing a third colour within the copy, this time to make the drinks flavour stand out, and then the describing words stand out amongst the other ones. I tried different combinations of this.




I really like how this looks as it gives different depths to the copy with how it appears. I certainly thing that using the darkest colour for the flavour then a middle colour for the descriptive words then a light one for the rest works the best as it gives a better hierarchy to the text.

I experimented with not having three colours and having the descriptive words and flavour words the same colour.




I don't think that these combinations work quite as effectively as the 3 colour ones do as it makes the smaller words stand out more than the more important ones.

I had a quick go at changing which words go in which colour to see if it works better with the two colours.


Again, whilst I think it's alright, I do still think the three colour combinations look a hell of a lot better.

Whilst I was sat doing these, Baljeet decided to make the comment of 'well apples are not blue'. Whilst she couldn't be more right, I weren't impressed. But it is a good piece of feedback to I decided to experiment with this to try and introduce some apple colours within it as well. I first went back to the original thought of having just the flavours in the colours, but this time used a colour best suited for the actual colour of the fruit, as well as the descriptive word in with it this time. 


Whilst I do think that these work, and they respond to the feedback comment that was made, I just don't think that they work well together as a whole, or at least not quite as well as just the blue shades do.

I tried out the three colour combination again as I did previously with the blues, but this time using the apple colours as well.



Again, as I said before, while I do think these work alright, I still prefer the blue combinations better. I discussed this with Beth, and after much consideration we decided to stick with the blue combinations as she agreed with me about them working better.

No comments:

Post a Comment