Thursday 24 May 2012

Smoking - No Tobacco Day Logo/Symbol

Along with the branding of Kick Butts, Take Names, I also want to produce some sort of identity for the actual World No Tobacco Day. I was originally thinking to produce a logo, but have thought recently before getting on with producing it that it might be nice to have a symbol instead represent the day which could be used across everything and anything to tie everything together. I think if this was to go worldwide, which I think the organisation hope to do one day, then a symbol could be so used and in your face that it would be instantly recognisable and associated with the day.

My thought on this was along the lines of thinking about a calendar, and how on movies and TV programmes usually to represent a certain important day people put a big cross on them - maybe a cross for this would work nicely? I don't just want to use an x that is perfect, I want it to look drawn/painted. I had a go on illustrator and produced this...


It's simple, and t the point with what I wanted, and it's vectored so it would very easily work at any sort of scale I choose to work with. Maybe red would make more of an impact with it as red sort of represents 'doom day', and will seem more important than just a black x, although grey could look nice as well to stick to being along the lines of everything looking smokey.


I experimented with the type/shade of red to use for the x. I quite like the top left one that is a bit darker, but it may remind me too much of dried blood? Could have the wrong sort of effect I'm hoping to achieve with this as I'm not trying to shock people into stopping, although it could be the most effective one? I also quite like the one's that are a bit brighter - the top far right and the bottom far left.


I've also tried out the x's in shades of grey. Where as I do like it in grey, I think to have more of an impact it would probably wrk more effectively if I was to use it in red as it would stand out a lot more. 

Looking back at the reds that I have used again, the one that my eye was drawn to first is the top middle right colour - as my eye was drawn to this the most I will choose this colour to use for the cross.


In some instances it may be necessary to include the date along with the x as after all it is representing a no tobacco day, so I've just had a quick look for now on the possibility of how I could have this.




Whilst doing them, I thought it would be better to have the date as '31st May' but looking at them all together now I much prefer the '31.05.12' set out of it. This is something for me to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment