Thursday 24 May 2012

Smoking - Brief Revisit/Initial Ideas

The main influence for what I am doing as I have explained before is the World No Tobacco Day poster brief that I came across on the Graphics Competitions website. The main reason why I chose to use this brief as one of my 4 is because I couldn't really find any others that I saw any possible potential in and thought the subject of this one could be a good starting point.

After doing the research that I have done already, along with the studio workshops, I now feel like I need to go back to this actual brief to take a really close look at and analyse further to possibly influence/push my own brief that I am writing, as well as understanding more about what this brief is actually for.

I know I can't actually enter this competition for real as the deadline for it is the 10th May, but I am going to take it and change it into my own with elements from this (along with possible elements from other briefs I collected as well).


I don't know why but every time I read through it it's like I half get it and then the other half is just like whaaaat?! The bits that I have highlighted and will take forward from now on from this brief though are
  • 'incorporate heart and fist logo' - it's a crap logo to be fair, so I think maybe a rebrand to make them look more solid may be beneficial as the logo is just too busy and doesn't really look professional at all. I will be sure to try and incorporate elements from what they have originally though. 
  • 'Kick Butts, Take Names' - the name of the organisation that has decided to create the no tobacco day, which is what I have decided to look into rebranding in the previous point. So I will rebrand them, then possibly brand the World No Tobacco Day as well?
  • 'way the world sees and responds to tobacco' - the way people see it and how they respond is quite a blurry area to look into and I suppose how this is handles will be highly determined by the target audience I wish to address. I will look into and try and find out who they wish to target first though and go with that.
  • 'draw attention to this date' - 31/05/2012 is the date that they wish for people to not use tobacco for the day, so I will make sure I remember to include this.
  • 'searching Kick Butts, Take Names on facebook' - I will do this now to look more into them and get a 'greater understanding' as they say it will give me on who they are and what not, where they stand sort of thing. I guess this will give me the perfect starting point on where to head

Just before doing this whilst researching I was considering possible ideas and angles on how to approach the brief that I am writing. I had originally considered just ignoring the actual day and just going down the route of finding an alternate angle to take an anti-smoking campaign. Even so, after rereading the brief and considering the possibilities of actually producing something for the day, I have decided to go ahead and do that as I feel that it will help the brief I put together and work on to be more solid.


Kick Butts, Take Names
Kick Butts, Take Names is a book, it's an attitude, it's a global movement for greater freedom, for health and wealth, for all.

From reading the websites, I have gathered that what Kick Butts, Take Names actually is, is:

  • support group that began by someone called Joanna - an ex smoker who's also a councillor that runs support groups for people who want to quit smoking, along with friends.
  • she's wrote a book called 'kick butts, take names', which offers lots of help and advice to anyone wanting to quit, or who want to start up their own support group to help others quit smoking.
  • they want to get big, global even, with what they do by the look of it.

Whilst I think this is all well and good, I just think with the poor designs of things, including the website, I just can't seem to take it as seriously as I would if I was reading say an NHS scheme. It just doesn't really look that professional and just looks thrown together. This may be because of a number of reasons such as budgeting or what ever. Examples of what I mean..





There is some interesting aspects on their website that I will look to possibly include within what I produce.


No comments:

Post a Comment