Friday 25 May 2012

Smoking - Suggestions

Considering the suggestions that they make on the Smokus Interuptus page (like I have talked about previously), I had an idea to maybe experiment with this a bit more. I like the idea more to have the day as a see how long you can go without a cig day, and not just convincing people to stop so I think the suggestions could be a good angle for the focal point of what I produce.

I can't just have the suggestion, such as 'go out for a walk' so I may combine this with something in the background to it saying 'craving a cigarette?'. I got out my layout pad and jotted down the sort of possible ideas of how I could have this.






I want to have a contrast between the two elements so using the different weights of the typeface will be something to experiment with. I went on Illustrator and had a go.




Whilst I think some of these experiments work, I am just not completely satisfied with them, so I decided to have an experiment with the weights of the typeface the opposite way around. I also played around with the tint of greys that I could use.



From these, I certainly prefer the craving line to be bold and then the suggestion line to be thin. I think it causes a better contrast between the lines, and also it makes the actual craving line easier to read than it did before. Although this isn't the main line it still needs to be readable.

I decided to use a variety of suggestions using this format now to make sure that it works with more than just the one I have been using.


I think it works well. Because I have kept the suggestions shorter, the craving line extends further than them so it makes it just that little more obvious is it there, just incase, as the hierarchy of the sentences is obviously the suggestion line first and then the craving line so that it makes more sense.

Now happy with this, I experimented with different tints of grey for both the elements to see which combination works the best.


For the suggestion line, I prefer the darkest tone which is 90% black, so I have decided that this is the one that I will use. For the craving line I am unsure whether I prefer the 10% or 20% tone, so I edited one of the lines to using both of these to see which one works the best side by side.

I think the 20% tone works better as it makes it more readable and just stands out that bit more like it needs to.


So now the tone combination I am using is 90% on 20%. I altered each of the lines to be the same as this.


I am really pleased with the outcome to my experiments so far. I want the overall feel of the media I produce to be clean yet smokey, and I think that using these certainly will add to that.

I decided to experiment with upper and lower case letterforms in places, as well as with punctuation to see if there's any particular way to have them other than just not using either.


I prefer the ones with the uppercase letterform starting off the suggestion line, and I prefer the craving line to be all lowercase. In terms of punctuation, I prefer the craving line to now have the question mark at the end, and I like the ones with just one full stop at the end of the suggestion line.

I altered each of the sentences so that they are now all the same.


I am now happy with how these have turned out.

Now I have these, I decided to separate them so that they were surrounded by more white space so that I can see if they would work individually as this is how they will more likely appear.





No comments:

Post a Comment