Saturday 10 November 2012

Type Exp - Flat black 2

I've done a lot more research on my DC blog for this brief. I don't know what it is with me so far with this, I am just not enjoying it. I have gone back to thinking about when I thought of this brief and why I chose to include it as one of my four. I want it to be a lighter brief to use to take a step back from the bigger briefs I am working on to use to experiment and have fun with. I'm just not doing that with it at all. I think I am putting a bit too much pressure on myself with it to do something amazing and different to what I am used to doing. Do I really need to do that though? I mean, yeah I want to experiment and develop my skills, but I don't think it's really necessary to stray too far away from it to the point I dread working on it a bit.

So with this in mind, with a new fresh perspective to it discarding what I have done so far, the next quote I am experimenting with is 'Can I get a flat black?' The whole situation to this was hilarious because the guy asked for this, but then the person who I was working with thought he meant a flat white, so that's what I made and when I gave him it I said 'flat white', and he just said 'what's this I asked for a flat black' so I turned around to Cath and she just put her arms out to the side and said 'what's a flat black?' He was meaning black coffee. Oh dear.

I used just type to experiment for this one.




I like the overlaying of the words. Does it take away the readability of the posters though? Hmm. Maybe I need to work with tones.





Tried it out with separating all of the words to be used separate but definitely doesn't work as well in comparison. Also, I think the slight change of tones with 'flat black' works well, but not so much with including a lighter one on the 'can I get' too. I'll change this to just black. Also, tried out including the line from Cath saying 'what's a flat black?' to see if this adds to the poster at all.




It adds more balance to the poster having the other line. Not sure if it takes away from the point of the poster though? It seems a bit like that saying 'a joke isn't funny if you have to explain it'. Maybe I don't need it.

The word flat could be played with a bit. I remembered what a few people have done with scanning stuff, where they move what they're scanning as it is scanning to make effects. I decided to give this a try. I moved it about, scrunched it a bit on the scanner, screwed it up, etc.











Some of these have turned out quite interestingly. I like how the screwed up ones have scanned in. I think it would be interesting to try scanning in a screwed up piece and then putting the text on to that and printing it out. That way the text will be completely flat on it. I'll give it a go.





It looks alright, not quite how I imagined it though. Hmm. I'll come back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment