Monday 5 November 2012

ISTD Research Brief - Idea

I NEED TO START THIS BRIEF. Gahhhh.

So because I have been concentrating on the two briefs that I have pretty much finished now, as well as making a brief start on my other two briefs, I am still yet to start this one. Since deciding to include this brief within one of my four as my main research driven brief, I really fancied doing something along the lines of Batman for it because of how obsessed I have become lately. I thought about doing something maybe researching more into the characters of Batman and what not and making it some sort of 'beginners guide to Batman'. My plan was then to have a read through previous ISTD briefs to find one that would fit my idea. I have kept having a quick look through but haven't really made a start.

THEN, when I was at work one day, I was talking to someone about how I wouldn't mind trying to drink some flavoured tea (to try and get me off my really bad addiction to coffee so much), so we decided to have what I called a 'tea tasting session'. We have a variety of different flavoured Twinings tea at work, so I made us a cup of each of them.


From right to left, there's blackcurrant vanilla and something, earl grey, camomile, peppermint, and green tea. (I didn't like any). But when we were doing it, we got talking about how some teas are good for you and how certain ones are good for certain things, and then when I was pouring them away...DING. I got an idea.

Considering the whole tasting experience, I would never have tried any of these if they weren't free from work, mainly because I wouldn't want to go out and buy a box of 100 tea bags just to try one and then probably not like it. Then I started thinking about how I could take this point and turn it into a brief. What I came up with is...
  • have some sort of tea festival
  • make available all the different flavours of tea available to buy a small number of
  • could have say a box of 20, and you can mix and match different flavours
  • have stalls where they are stewing different flavours for passers by to try a cup of
  • could include information with them such as what they are good for, or what they would go nice with - for example a lot of people have either milk or a lemon slice with earl grey
  • could produce a publication with all of the information in
  • produce the packaging for the tea bags
  • design how the stalls could be - cups and what not to go with it
  • could do it on Twinings? They have the biggest range of tea flavours
  • could also offer a 'competiion' for people to suggest new flavours?


I quite like this idea, and although I love Batman and will at some point do a project based on it, I think at this stage in the module, this idea seems and feels a lot stronger for me to go ahead with because I know more certainly with it what I need to do and research. Hmm. Now I just need to find an ISTD brief to base it on, and then rewrite the new brief. And get it started. All for Thursdays 'uber' crit.

No comments:

Post a Comment