Wednesday 8 February 2012

Top Ten - Blink 182 60 Second Sequence - New Idea

Now that I have scrapped the last idea that I came up with for my title sequence, I need a new one to produce instead. I am glad that I realised that I needed to change it at this stage rather than when it would be too late to change it. The other initial thought I'd had originally was to include more than one song within the sequence and do the kinetic type for each one, but the thing that was putting me off was actually getting the sound right. Even so, since this we have had the talk with Lorraine about sound and she explained about how you can fade in and out different tracks, which is actually quite simple to do once it's been explained. So using more than one song is now an actual option to choose from.

I don't just want to have one song fade out and a new one fade in as I don't think this will really work in terms of being effective and a good transition between them. Thinking back to my target audience, with it being the fans of Blink that have followed them for years I suddenly got the idea of having something quite 'worn' and 'old'. This then lead to me thinking about the countdown clocks that are used on older films and what not like this one:


I now have the idea to use some sort of times to countdown from 10 to 1 throughout the sequence that could appear between each song to separate them up. Before I make any definite decisions as to the style of the countdown clock, I did a bit of research into the different styles I could consider using.





Using these images for ideas, I sketched down different ideas that I could think of to use for it.


Although it might be effective to use something less obvious for it, I have decided to stick with the circle idea that used to be used in the past on old films. I just like the sort of vintage feel to them and think it will tie in better my my choice of typefaces and colours. I went on to Illustrator and developed this idea trying altering different elements and what not until I found something I thought would work the best.







I had drawn in the initial sketches a couple of ideas which incorporated sections of the Blink smiley, which I quickly moved on to experiment with on illustrator. I really like this idea and think it is another subtle element which will help to tie it together better with the Blink theme. I think including the arrows is a bit too much, but I like having the middle section being the middle section to the smiley, so this is the idea I have chosen to use.




I experimented a bit further with this idea, and introduced the number aspect to it, and also decided that I may include the crossed lines like in the examples I found. I will use the other typeface for the numbers instead of the main typeface as I think it works better and sits nicer within the circle. Once I was happy with my decisions, I took the circle over into photoshop, where I developed it further and prepped it up ready to be imported into aftereffects.




I quickly decided the lines would be included with it as I think it just adds that little extra something, as shown above.


I have decided to reverse the colours around so that the background is black and the other elements are grey. It works a lot stronger as a whole being this way around.






I have made the lines look worn in the design, and tried out having the circle look worn too but it didn't really work so I will keep this solid. I am happy with how this now looks and am ready to start getting ideas down now for what will go in the title sequence.



No comments:

Post a Comment