Saturday 7 May 2011

Speaking from Experience - Memory Stick

Keeping the files that you're working with, and all in one place really helps to keep organised. Especially if you use one Mac at home and then go to the Mac suites at College. It's important to make sure you have all the files that you need and what not. I have always had a problem of keeping my files organised but during the last module because I had so many, on my USB stick I made specific folders for specific things. So I thought a good way to start someone off on the right foot at keeping files together and organised would be to give them a USB stick with the folders already on there to use. A little like the USB we received - maybe these could be combined.



To do this and to use for the pack, I am using the USB I received from the college at the beginning of the year because I never actually used it as I had just bought one before I started with a big memory on it. I set it up as explained previous, making a separate file for each of the modules. I considered putting all the folders for the separate briefs in them, but decided not to as it would give away what is to come, and some may change. 






I have decided that I will produce a little box similar to what it originally came in (gutted I didn't save it now!) so that I can keep it visually linked to everything else in the pack. It is only going to be a small box so won't have much on, so I got straight to mapping out the net for me to follow.

Box
I first measured the size of the memory stick - common sense obviously. This was 6cm x 2cm x 1.5cm, I then laid the memory stick on my layout pad and drew a box round it to double check I would get the measurements right.



From these measurements then I made the net for the box.



Further Packaging Development
Considering the obvious that the USB will be to use throughout the course, I think I need to have something that goes along with it to explain the purpose of the folders and what not. As well as little tips to make sure if you loose it or what ever. I thought about having a separate leaflet of some sort to go with it, but in the 'pack' they may separate. I am not saying a student receiving this would be dumb enough to not get the purpose of it, and put the two things together, but I think it will just work better as one.

Thinking about usual USB packaging, I had a brainwave to make something similar and have the box connected in some way to a leaflet. I thought about just sticking it on but that isn't really impressive, then I thought about a little look on the leaflet to attach it on to, and then thought why not have the box connect to the leaflet in a more planned way. I could do it by having one of the sides of the box split in 2, and then have 2 slots in the leaflet for the flaps to slot through, and then reconnect on the other side.

I re sketched the net so that it would now work in this way, and sketched real quick the possible, obvious way to have the leaflet for it to connect to.



This is how I predict that it will look when fitted together.


No comments:

Post a Comment