Friday 6 May 2011

Speaking from Experience - Existing Notebooks

I went to the library to see what different notebooks they had available. Almost all of the ones they had could be either sketchbooks or notebooks depending what the reason you are purchasing them is for. They ranged from all sorts of sizes, from big to little. I briefly looked at each and wondered what my personal preferred size would be if I was to buy them for notebooks, and the size I was most drawn to were the A5 ones. I bought 5 different ones for me to analyse.

For each, I sat down and measured the correct sizes and counted the number of pages for each to help me analyse them better and know more about each one individual. This includes:

  • How many sheets/sides
  • Type of paper
  • Paper size
  • 'Wasted' amount of paper
  • Cover size
  • Available in portrait/landscape
































Binding
I think out of all that I have purchased, the ring bound books I think are the most practical to use as a notebook. I think this because they are easy to hold in general, and the pages fold completely back on themselves, so when you are taking notes you don't have to have it completely open, you can still keep it at the A5 size that it is. This will make it slightly easier I believe because it would require less effort than it would to hold it whilst writing the notes down, and with how fast you have to take the notes this can also be a good thing. So because of this, I will look into whether it would be possible for me to ring bind the notebook/planner I am considering making, as well as how easy it would be and how much it would cost. Alternatively, if it will not be possible, then I will look more into the hardback bound style for it.

Size
I have decided that I will produce the notebook I am making to be A5 size as I think it is a good size to have without it being too big or small. The pages are big enough to layout the notes being taken how ever they like, and it is still the right size to just throw in your bag or carry around.

Stock
I prefer the cartridge paper that is used in the majority of the books compared to the really thin lined paper that is in the notepad. This is because it is more durable, and generally feels better. You can guarantee that what ever type of pen is preferred by the person using the book won't go through and bleed onto the back/other page, which ensures that each side of the pages could be used. Even so, I do understand the fact that these books are also available to be used as sketchbooks as well as notebooks, and cartridge paper is a lot nicer to sketch on, but it makes the books a lot thicker than it would with a paper stock that has a slightly lower GSM. I will take this into consideration when choosing which stock to use for the pages, as it would be better to get more pages in the book without it starting to get ridiculously thick. Also, I think it is easier to make notes onto plain paper than it is lined when you are having to write them fast as you can lay them out how ever you like, where as if there is lines present you have to follow that form more and could make it slightly less desirable to use, so because of this I have decided to keep the pages plain.

Covers
The books with the harder/more solid covers are a lot easier to make notes in whilst holding it on your knee than it is in the ones with thinner/no solid covers. It makes the books a lot sturdier making it less effort to use. I will look at getting some sort of strong stock to use as the covers, but whether I keep it plain or back it is yet to be decided.

I researched what it is that is used to make hardback books to ensure I buy a sturdy enough stock. I have looked before at places like Hobby Craft but couldn't find any. Once I knew the general name for it, I searched for somewhere to buy it from and purchased it straight away, this way it will come as soon as and will be here for when I get round to using it.




No comments:

Post a Comment