Wednesday 16 February 2011

OUGD102 Module Self Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?
This module made me realise the importance to the research that is done prior progressing through a brief. I realised this whilst we were doing the group brief, so I immediately applied these new skills into the Collection 100 brief, and found that it really helped me to progress a lot better than I may have done without it. Also, I learnt how interesting it is to just let a brief pan out into something rather than progressing through it focusing on something I would rather do: this resulted in me producing the outcomes I have and I am pleased with it.

What approached to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?
After realising in the group brief the actual lack of primary research we did, I wanted to ensure that I conducted much more within the Collection 100. So to do this I went out and saw things and experienced things rather than just staring at the internet all day until I found something good. I also did things such as interview a Barista as I felt is was relevant to what I was doing, and is a good piece of primary qualitative research. By my doing this it helped me to understand my subject a lot better and helped me focus on the more important/interesting things I have found.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?
I think the amount of research I produced as a whole was pretty strong. I made sure I got a variety of things rather than just relying on the internet to find everything out. Also, the level of motivation that I put into the module, especially over the last few weeks was an amount I have never really put in as much before, and I surprised myself with the amount of work that I managed to produce, as well as the standard of it maintaining quite high.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?
My weakness was definitely the start of the Collection 100 brief as I was taking too long to make decisions and move on from initial research, which resulted in me not leaving myself as much time as I would have liked to spend on producing final ideas. I do feel that if I would have picked up the motivation earlier on I could have possibly produced some more interesting outcomes to accompany what I already have.

Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?
  • I will definitely keep the level of motivation I worked up to having throughout the whole of the next module, rather than just for the last few weeks.
  • I will make sure that I spend at least an hour every day blogging and keeping everything up to date and organised throughout the whole module as I feel this would save me a lot of time at the end.
  • Again, I will try harder at improving my group working skills as I still identify this as a personal problem.
  • I will maybe experiment more with different methods to produce different outcomes, such as hand drawn illustrations, type, etc, before choosing which one to use rather than deciding before hand and sticking to it.
  • I will build more on the new skills that I have learnt from the year so far, and try to expand these within the next module, and the rest of the time on the course.


How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
Attendance: 4
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 3
Quantity of work produced: 4
Quality of work produced: 4
Contribution to the group: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment