Monday 7 February 2011

100... - Book - Printed and Bound

The first book that I made I stuck together with double sided tape as it was for a crit, and I didn't feel it was completely finished so I didn't want to spend so much money and time on it just yet. Even so, it did actually turn out to look really well, and quite professionally finished.






After that particular crit and numerous times re reading through to spell check and what not, I went down to the digital print room to get it printed so that I could go down to book making to get it bound. When I asked James about getting it printed I explained how I didn't really know what I was doing but I wanted it printing into numerous sections on A3 paper. Even so, he didn't do it like this and printed it all as one section on A4 paper. I didn't feel like it was my place to say anything because I didn't know what I was doing anyway, but when I got down to digital print, Rodger spent a good 5 minutes telling me how wrong it was printed. I still bound the book even though it was wrong and planned to have it re done. Here is how this book turned out.





As time passed, and things started to get busy I left it too late to book a time into digital print, so I went out and bought some nice paper and printed the book at home. I figured out how to print it after watching James and worked out how to print it in sections. So when this was done, I decided to give it a go at doing the book making myself. To say it was my first ever proper time I don't think it turned out too bad, except I was too eager to see if it had worked that I opened it when the glue wasn't quite set and it rippsed the insides of the pages near the spine.





So I gave it another go, doing exactly the same as I did previous but this time using a glue gun. It turned out better but then glue gun made the section between where the cover and the spine of the sections for the pages was too seperated from each other from the glue.





I did it again just using PVA again this time but was more patience about it drying. I also used a different stitching technique to hold the pages together that I worked out by using YouTube. This book turned out a lot better and was going to be my final book, but when I was flicking through it I realised one of my pages had printed wrong and some of the edge had been cut off.






So I did it again, determined that this was going to be the last try. I made sure everything was printed correctly and put loads of effort into making it look as professionally done as possible, and the end result was very good. I am pleased with it and this will be the book that I will use as the final book. I can now print and put the belly band on there too.

See the photos of the final book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment