Monday 7 February 2011

100... - Final Crit Response - Poster

As well as the mini books I am producing, I also like the idea of designing a poster to accompany both them and the book. I have given it a lot of though as to how I could have the poster, like what information to put on and what not, and the category I think would work the best would be the Coffee Countries one. This is because there is a lot of information around this category to work with, and I think it would be that bit more visually engaging.

So because I have drawn and scanned in the illustrations I have used within the books, to blow the world map illustration up to both an A2 and A3 size would probably pixelate it, so I will therefore trace over the Illustration using the pen tool in illustrator, which will then allow me to make it into any size as it will be a vector image, so would have the possibility to increase it to A1 if I want to.

Here is the world map illustration I produced in a good couple of hours using the pen tool in Illustrator.


I will add on the dots within the countries that produce coffees once I start designing the poster if I feel it is appropriate to do so, as well as the bean belt area within the 2 lines as I have used in the books.

Purpose
I will create the purpose of this poster to be so that it shows where in the world coffee beans actually come from, so I will include the bean belt and dotted area like I have in the book. Also, using what I did for the mini poster in the Coffee Countries Mini Book I produced I will use the key I did on that showing which countries produce just arabica coffee beans, just robusta coffee beans and which produces both. I will use the same key as I did and include the key section in the bottom right corner of the poster. I will name the whole poster Coffee Countries, so that it links back to the section in the book and the mini book. I will also include a little more information about something to do with the coffee sountries, and again use the coffee marks to 'colour it in'.

Design
Before I started to digitally edit the design of the poster, I printed it out to an A1 scale (using 8 A4 sizes as I don't have an A1 printer at home) and put it on the wall to get a general idea of how it would look. I then used a marker pen and marked on the basic elements of the poster and where I would roughly want them to go. I did this once I had added the dots and symbols to the map.



I first started the design by adding the dotted sections to the areas that needed them. Followed by the lines to section off the 'bean belt' area. Then I put on the key and positioned each of the symbols in the right places, and then put on the extra writing. Then once this was done I 'coloured in' the map using the coffee marks I have.


Information
The information that I will use within the poster will be from the coffee countries section in the book. But rather than just sticking it all on there I will just use what is relevant basically to what is being shown. As well as this will be the title I have used for the book, (and the link to the Blogger website which I decided to do after I made this so I added this to it then.), and my name will go on there too and the title of the project 'Collection 100'.

I first experimented with where the title could go within the poster.


Then I added the relevant information and the poster is finished.


The poster would be 'available' in both A2 and A3 sizes. I would have preferred to have got it printed out A2, but the digital print room was fully booked for the times I had free time to get it done, so because of this I have printed it A3. Even so, I think it still looks effective and works really well.





No comments:

Post a Comment