Wednesday 13 October 2010

Alphabet Soup - Symbols.

As well as the letterforms we have to decide on 6 symbols to go with them. The ones that I have decided to design are ? ! * & $ @.

I chose:

? - because she is quirky and I think this symbol could (if you opened your mind to the idea) be a suggestion of quirkiness with the impression that there isn't yet an answer to what it is being used against.

! - because this would suggest that she is confident because it is a symbol that makes a line or word more assert.

* - because again I think this symbol could suggest quirkiness.

& - because she comes across as being quite elegant and this is an elegant form of symbol to use.

$ - because on the questionnaire where it asks if she could live anywhere in the world, she answered New York, and this is the sign for the currency they use.

@ - because one of the adjectives I used is well educated, and well everyone has an email address these days.


To design them, I used the same process as I did for the letterforms where I designed the basic form of them first.


Then coloured in the sections.


Then applied the line idea to them.


I think that the symbols I have selected have worked well with the designs I have used for this brief. They fit well against the letterforms, and don't just look stupid. The only thing that I would say is that the * symbol is left a little plain against the others because I couldn't really have a section of it using a block of colour because then it makes it less legible to what it is supposed to be. Even so, I like this fact because it makes it 'different', which is also an adjective I used to describe Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment