Monday 4 October 2010

Alphabet Soup Pt 1 - Crit Feedback and Further Development/Crit Response

Feedback to the final crit we had on 01/10/2010.

Issues Raised
  • see if it would have the same effect on different letters - already did this, just evidenced on my blog instead of taking along to the crit.
  • if it's done too much then would make the letters no longer legible.
  • as a group it was decided that the 5th and 8th in my sequence looked the best ones.


Action To Be Taken
  • try using the different letters that I have also tried in the same style to make up a word and see how that would look.
  • I also think it would be interesting to see if the same effects would work on a different typeface, possibly one not bold or sans serif or something.





Further development/crit response to the above.

I got straight on to experimenting with making the word shake out of the other letters I already experimented with.

Using the same logic as I did for the individual letters where if you imagine holding a letter and literally shaking it side to side the result would be what I designed. Well I was thinking about it as a few letters together making a word and if you were holding the word and shaking it side to side they would all merge together, so this is what I was trying to achieve in the experiment.

I think it does actually work quite well because even though they are blurry giving the impression of it being shaken, you can still see the counters and different aspects of each of the letters within it.


Now I've tried the same idea on a different typeface. For this experiment I used Times New Roman.


The results turned out better than I was expecting them to if I'm honest. I think that using this font makes the idea more legible, because you can see the letters that I used more clearly than you can in the previous ones. I like it, but I think if I had to choose I would still choose the other one because it looks that bit more effective.

I also gave it a quick try with Helvetica to see how it would look with that.


I don't think this version works as well as the others do. Fair enough it does still give the impression it is being shaken if you think about it, but it is now quite as obvious/effective as the others. I think for this idea to work it definately needs to be a bolder font. I also tried this version in uppercase letters to see if there's a difference but I don't think either is better really.

No comments:

Post a Comment