Wednesday 13 October 2010

Alphabet Soup - Crit Development

After coming to the conclusion that using the typeface for the name badge doesn't necessarily work because the letter T's and the L aren't completely legible, so my plan is to re design these letters and try the whole typeface using the lines idea I tried out during my development work, as well as using the same style to produce a lowercase version of the typeface.

I first developed my uppercase letters so that they now look better/more legible, as well as using the lines idea.


I think now that I have made these changes to the certain letters, and tried out the typeface with the lines idea it has improved it a lot, and makes it work better. The lines give it a different feel to the version without them: they make it look somewhat more glamourous and elegant, which is more like the feel I was looking to achieve.It also defines each of the letters more and helps a lot with making them more legible.


I then started doing the lowercase designs. I began the same as I did the uppercase ones by making the basic design and form of the letterforms first.


Then developed it further as I did perviously with the uppercase letters by making sections within the letters into blocks of colour.


And then did the designs including the lines.


Having both the uppercase and lowercase letters designed, I don't actually know which I prefer over the other one. There is certain elements and letters within each which makes them more favorable, so I will write out Charlotte's name using both sets of letters to see which works the best/is more legible.


As well as doing the name for each in a large scale, I also did both the actual size of the name badge to help me make a decision.



I think both the upper and lower case work for the name badge, although with the lowercase letterforms being that little bit smaller than the uppercase ones when using the same point size, it allowed me to use a bigger point size for them in order to fill the name badge space well. Therefor because of this it makes them seem that bit more legible and allows me to make the designs a little more intricate (which is what is needed for it to work and look effective.). I wont make a specific decision to use this until it comes to producing the name badge, even though I will probably end up using it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment