Wednesday 12 September 2012

Typographic Expression

Searching for examples of existing student briefs which have been set online, I came across the Creative Times student design briefs, where they set 5 different briefs which 3 different students for each of the briefs attempted to solve the brief using their own interpretations.

One of the briefs is titled 'typographic expression' and seen as I am wanting to focus a lot on typography and develop my skills in this area, obviously this brief stood out to me. Full brief can be seen here - http://www.creativetimes.co.uk/articles/student-design-brief-4-in-a-series-of-five-typographic-expression

"The Task
Choose one of the following artists: Salvador Dali, Kurt Schwitters, or Pablo Picasso. Your task is to express the personality/beliefs of your chosen artist using only their name (i.e. if Kurt Schwitters is chosen, you must say something about him/his work through the words ‘Kurt Schwitters’, using expressive typography). The words you use must be the name alone (no other words should be added). Your work must be completely typographic (i.e. no pictorial elements)."


This brief seems pretty simple with what it is asking for, although research into the individuals would be the key to achieving something successful in response. In some ways, this feels a little similar to the 'your own memorial' brief that I have found and tweaked into, but is different because this would be based on famous, well known people that everyone would be familiar with so would ultimately be more of a challenge to do.

Even so, it does seem a little 'too' simple with what it is asking for, if I do go on to choose this brief as one of my ten, I would look into possibly pushing it further to be more substantial to work as one. I've decided to have a good think into the possible ways that I could push it or maybe even just use it as a starting point for something I think would be more suited.

MIND MAP IMAGE


  • The main points I got from the mind map was to do some sort of collection of them.
  • I like the idea for choosing an actor/actress and doing their name over and over to represent each of the different roles they have done.
  • Also really like using all main characters to do them for from one film/tv programme.

Whilst I like the idea of the simplicity of this, I still don't feel like I have a solid enough idea for it just yet that I could see myself doing as one of my ten briefs. I'll keep thinking about it for now and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment