Wednesday 12 September 2012

Barnbrook Education - Your Own Memorial

Here is one of the briefs that I have gotten from the website highlighted on my previous blog post to consider as one of my final 10 briefs.

"Summary
When you die, people think that all that is left is just some kind of gravestone, I would say its less than that, its the piece of typography that is written on the gravestone, that is the actual reminder of you. All of your life summed up in a little piece of twirly type. With that in mind I would like you to produce some kind of typographic memorial that sums up your life for when you die. /// This project is as difficult or as easy as you make it, but make it interesting for yourself as this project is about you and your points of view on life."


Admittedly, the thought of producing something for your own death is a pretty morbid thought, but after thinking about the brief a bit, and reading the 'things to consider' list below the summary on the website, I think this brief could be tweaked a bit and made into something quite interesting.

Taking thing number 6 into account "06. That this project is very much within the area of typography, so although its very free make sure that there is an element of typographic investigation in the final piece.", I think this brief would be a good way to possibly put into practice skills I learnt from the type module last year. I could tweak the brief to do it on other people rather than myself, and see this as a challenge to portray the number of people I decided to do, incorporating their presence, personality, etc into a piece of typography which just from looking at it gives the best impression about the person as I could achieve. I could possibly develop it to either step away from gravestones and into possibly a print focused project, or keep it about them and do some thorough research into the limitations and possibilities which would occur from this.

MIND MAP IMAGE


  • Whilst I think it would be interesting to develop into a print based project, I like the idea of having the limitations and research to do into the possibilities of having the piece of typography I produce for each individual for a gravestone.
  • Using it to focus towards a gravestone gives the project a little bit more of a purpose.
  • I think 10 is a good amount to base this project on. It's a good number to get variety within what I produce, but not too many that I run out of ideas of what to do or start producing things that look too samey.
  • Good for primary research - besides the research into the gravestone, all information that I will use to produce each piece will be completely primary coming straight from the people themselves - conduct interviews.
  • Great way to put to good use typography skills, and possibly even develop from this into a bit of decorative type as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment