Friday 16 December 2011

Studio Workshop 2 - Timelines

Studio workshop on 06/12/2011.

Timelines
Timelines are the way to think away from the screen. They work in multiples of 60, and between storyboarding and time lining helps to get your head around what ever it is you're doing.

When working off screen we work in seconds, when working on screen we work in frames per second.

The timescale is something we can control, and sequence is when things happen.


Timeline 1
Splitting 1 line up on the worksheet and dividing the total time of the sequence I used to take the screen shots of (49 seconds) by 10, and marked these points across the line. This proved to be more difficult than it sounds as everyone had a different understanding of what we were meant to be doing so it took a while to get it. Once these marks were placed along the line, using the screen shots that I got I'd to place them in the right places along the line, using lines to connect them to the right part of the lines as all of the screen shots wouldn't fit into one line in the distance we have.



Once I knew what I was doing with this it seemed rather simple. It was east to position the screen shots in the right places once I worked out the measurements as they were at regular intervals.


Timeline 2
Using all 5 of the lines drawn on to the worksheet, for this one I'd to split each of the lines into 10 sections, and divide the total time of my chosen sequence to spread across them all. This took a bit of working out to do but was explained better so understood it quicker. Then using the screen shots of the sequence I chose of the frames that I believe to be key frames, I'd to position them in the right places along the timeline. I didn't write down the times for these so had to get the video back up to help me do this. Once this was done then we'd to cut up the worksheet so that it is one long timeline rather than over 5 lines.


timeline 2


Seeing this stuck on the wall it was easy to understand the fact that key points throughout a sequence isn't necessarily equally spaced and are usually scattered across the time line. This will be something I keep in mind whilst I produce my sequences.


Tasks to do for Tuesday 13/12/2011
Review this session and what we have got. Answer these questions

  • What is a keyframe outside of aftereffects?
  • What are the potential problems you will encounter when sequencing/time lining?
  • How are you going to avoid these problems?
  • What do you need to know to avoid it?
  • How do my sequences relate to an idea of a timeline - how will they go on one?
Choose the best sequence from each of the 5 ideas I produced on the task that I did in preparation for this workshop and map on to a timeline using the 5 frames.

Re do what we have done today (at least once) to help get head around it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment