Tuesday 28 September 2010

Alphabet Soup Pt 1 - Ideas Development.

I have a sufficient amount of visuals/sketches so now I am digitizing some of the ideas that I think work well to experiment further with. I will do the designs as I have drawn and then develop them further if necessary with elements/sections that I think may be appropriate, a bit like a trial and error sort of thing.


Colour Scheme.
For this brief I have decided to stick to a simple black and white colour scheme. This is because I think it will keep the whole thing simple and allow the viewer to focus more on the design that I do in relation to my random word rather than having the possibility of them getting distracted by a random colour scheme I put together.



Idea: 'the 'bowl' shaking inside a letter'.

I decided to digitise this idea because I think it works really well at representing the meaning of the word shake.


Basically I used the letter O that I used when sketching out my visuals for the idea, and put the actual letter in one layer on photoshop, and then the bowl in another layer. This made it easier for me to edit it for each of the designs within the set by allowing me to just move the bowl into the different positions. The idea is really simple, so obviously my outcomes are really simple too, and look as though they didn't take much effort (but to be fair, they didn't). So after considering what I could do I thought about doing this:


I made the bowl in each of the designs to look a little blurry to give the sense that they are/have been moved. I did this by layering up a variety of copies from the layer containing the 'bowl' shape and changed the opacity for each and positioned them randomly around the original one, not straying too far from it.

I think this improves the idea and makes it look that bit more interesting.


Idea: 'a bit shakey progressing to being a lot shakey'.

I found this idea interesting, so decided to digitise it.

To do this, I simply took a simple letter O and used the 'wind' filter on Photoshop. I started by not having any and progressed using more and more on each of the examples. The counter in the O didn't have the filer used on it as much of the outer section of the letter because I think this way it just keeps it that little bit more interesting and keeps it legible.



I then put each of the designs into the A6 format layout to see how they would look and position within the design area. I kept them all central because I think just the designs themselves do enough to respond to the brief well.


Idea: 'having the same elements happen on each design with different typeface on each'.

I tried this idea because I didn't want to just develop the sequence ideas.


To produce each of these I basically used the same technique as I did with the letter O and the moving counter in it. I made a variety of layers of the letter and changed the opacity on each of them (except the top one) and rotated them slightly and positioned them close around the top letter to give the effect that it is shaking/blurry from it. I think this idea is really good and I may consider using it as my final idea.


Idea: 'reorganise' and 'shake the letter and have it fall apart'.

I first tried this experiment using the 2 letters (Z and F) I had sketched out my idea using.


I think the idea is a good idea to represent my chosen word, and is quite interesting to put together. I want to try it with different letters before I make a final opinion on this.

I tried the idea then using a T and L. This time I did it using letters with just 2 elements in them rather than 3, to see if it looks any better/worse.


I don't think the 2 elements works as strongly as the ones with 3 in them, just because the idea is really simple anyway, so with just the 2 being 'shaken' around, the design area I have to work with is still looking quite bare.





After thinking (quite a bit) about this idea, I thought it may look more effective and work better is I used a bolder font, so I used the 2 letters from the first experiment I used that have 3 elements in them. Before I did the actual re arranging over the 10 designs I broke the Z down into it's 3 elements and attempted at then fitting these together as the F. (I did this for the other 2 experiments also, but didn't feel the need to show this on my blog.) With the bolder font I have found that to rearrange the Z into the F just doesn't work without the F looking proper deformed (as shown). The way that I could get around this would be to re shape the elements as they are shaking in each of the designs, but then if I was to do this it would take away the whole point of 'rearranging' them.

I think even though this idea is a good one for representing the word, the brief is to create 10 designs of manipulated letter forms. So if you were to take just one of the 10 designs from the sequence it wouldn't work in response to the brief because it is basically just 3 random shapes in random places. So because of this I am going to just scrap the idea.


Idea: 'shaking back and forward/side by side'.

Before I placed the letters for this idea onto the layout for each of the 10 designs, I first measures out and rotated all 10 of the letter E to make sure that it is a perfect curve so that I don't end up with 2 of the designs with the letters in the same place.


When I'd done this, I put them into the layout I was using to see the designs how they would work as a set.


Using the letters as I did them to use before putting them on to the 10 individual layouts, if I follow the way that I did it on the sketch I made it doesn't work because the last E (which should be at the top and upright) ends up on the 9th on the sequence and not the 10th, so I need to rearrange these. Also, I think to look at them as a set to see how they would work, this layout for the 10 designs doesn't help at all so I will try a different layout for them.


I used a single file layout for the designs to see them more how they would work in order. This makes the idea look that bit more successful. I also changed them round so that they now work in order, and the letter that ended up in the 9th on the previous layout now ends up on the 10th where it is supposed to.

Again, same as the previous idea I experimented with. I like the idea as a whole and I think the sequence does work well at showing the letter shaking from side to side, but if you were to just select out one of the 10 designs, as shown:


It doesn't look that effective, and basically just looks as though I have randomly put an E anywhere in the area. I think if I was to concentrate more on the idea and use one of the blurred shakey effects like in one of the previous experiments where I made the counter 'shakey' as it moved it would probably work better. But again to look at just one of the 10 on it's own would still look a bit crap and rushed as though I haven't bothered putting much effort or thought into it. So because of this, and the fact that I don't think it responds to the brief as well as some of the other ideas I have do, I am going to just scrap this idea before I waste anymore time.

No comments:

Post a Comment