Tuesday 28 September 2010

Alphabet Soup Pt 1 - Visuals/Sketches Part 2.

Here is some more visuals/sketches that I put together for my ideas I came up with to respond to the brief.

Idea: 're organise' and 'shake letter and have it fall apart'.



This idea is basically similar to one of the previous ones I sketched where I visualised where the letter would end up if it was to be shook within something. Well for this one i did the same but did it so that when it is shook the letter falls apart (because when you shake somethings that are fragile they do tend to fall apart), and then i combined this idea with the rearranging idea and had the elements of the beginning letter being shaken into a new letter. I chose to use the letter F and turn it into the letter Z because both of these letterforms are essentially made up of 3 sections, so it was easier to make the first letter fall apart and form into the other.


Idea: 'shaking back and forward/side by side'.



For this idea I did it as though the letter is on a spring and is being shook side by side. The first in the sequence starts as far pulled to the left side of the design area and then the sequence follows on by it being over to the right then shook back over to the left, until in the 10th design the letter has stopped shaking and has gone back upright.


Idea: ''current' shake going through a letter'.


These visuals that i have done for this idea didn't really turn out how I originally wanted them to. What I wanted it to do is have the letter M move in sequence so that it turns into a wave and then goes back into the letter M by the last design in the sequence but when i came to sketch them out it basically just went quite horribly wrong. I used a sans serif quite rounded font to help with the freeness within the wave I was going to make. I may possibly try to sketch out this idea again to see if I can get it right the second time round.


Idea: ''current' shake going through a letter'.


So basically, I was thinking about the previous idea and how it just proper didn't turn out how I wanted it to, so I tried a different approach. In these visuals I decided to have a more formal/ blocked M, and in each of the designs through the process there is like a shake/wave progressing through it. For this I just drew 4 of the 10 designs because I figured it would be obvious what would happen throughout. I think it works better because it could possibly represent the word Shake better, and the idea is just a lot clearer.


Idea:


For these sketches I just did an example for each because if I was to develop them further these would be the kind of thing that I would use the idea to have the same effect on different typefaces. The letter B that I did in the top left was in response to one of the images I have in my research where it is blurry from being moved. The letter E in the bottom left I just basically did the edged wobbly as though the letter is shaking: I think this would work quite well across of variety of letterforms. The letter E in the top right is basically the same as one of the previous ones I did with the letter O, but did this shaking up and down instead. Finally the B in the bottom right I just drew that holding the other end of the pen so that it was shaking.


Idea: 'hand shaking'.


This idea I simply took a letterform and started it off by drawing with my hand shaking a little bit, and progressed through each of the drawings making my hand shake more for each. I think this is a simple and easy solution to what the brief is asking, but I think if it was digitised it could possibly look quite interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment