Monday 3 October 2011

Type Workshop 1

Although I had my notebook at the type workshop, I didn't really make many notes as Graham was constantly talking and making points - ones of which I seemed to already know, and just needed them to be pointed out to realise that I know. I found the session really interesting. Here's the few notes I did make:

Type workshop with Graham

pt = 1/72
   - 72 is an inch

pt is the space the letter occupies

type is speech made visible


The exercise thing that we did at the end of the workshop where we had to use the word 'dog', then as he described what he wanted, we then had to find a typeface which we felt best suited the selected description. This was interesting to see how everyone had slightly different interpretations of this, but fundamentally agreed on the same aspects that made up 'why'.

Here are my words that I produced for each of the different descriptions.
'Big' dog:


'Frightened' dog:


'Intelligent' dog:




As the session ended, Graham asked that we come prepared for the next workshop by doing the exercise again, this time with 'Friendly' dog:

<image here>

No comments:

Post a Comment