Sunday 23 September 2012

Quick Review

Since my last blogging spurt, I've come up with more potential ideas for my 10 briefs to do (hopefully more than what I need, giving me the chance to choose!), but before I continue to type away until early hours I thought I would take a step back with what I have so far to see how I can move on from this.

At the end of level 05, we were given a list of categories for our briefs to fall under:

  • Research briefs
  • Competition briefs
  • Skills Driven briefs
  • Live briefs
  • Collaborative briefs

Looking at this list, and the briefs that I have already come up with, I figured I may as well see which categories the ones I have come up with fall under, to make sure that I don't end up with way too many in one category and none in others.

Your Own Memorial - Skills Driven brief
The main point of doing this brief, as discussed in my blog post for it, is to use it to really push the skills that I learnt from the type module so it definitely fall into the Skills Driven briefs category. It could also fall into the research one as it is all based on what primary research I collect.

Typographic Expression - Skills Driven brief
I think the line from my blog post 'could make the posters pretty damn sexy' says all it needs to for this brief being under the Skills Driven category.

Hot N Tasty - Live brief
This brief will be me rebranding an existing company and getting input from the owner of it, so this makes it fall under the Live briefs category.

Clothing Brand - Skills Driven brief
As it stands at the moment, I'm looking at taking the route of coming up with an idea for this from scratch so it falls under the skills driven briefs category. Even so, this may change if I end up working with an existing small brand before I start it then making it into a Live brief.

Make Your Mark - Skills Driven brief
This is based on myself, my own work and contacting studios, so it's a skills driven brief for sure, although if they have this one available again as one of the D&AD briefs to enter (where I got the idea from originally) then that would then make it fall into the competition briefs category. I will have to wait and see for that one though.


So... most of the briefs fall into the Skills Driven briefs category. I don't really see this as a bad thing as obviously I am wanting to push my skills further and get better at what I do. With the rest of the briefs that I blog about I will make sure that I have ones that also fall into the other categories (which they do).  

Although, after reading through the descriptions for each of the categories, some of the briefs fall into more than one of the categories. If I was to see it like this, and say they were in more than one then that would be:

Research briefs
Your Own Memorial

Competition briefs
Make Your Mark

Skills Driven briefs
Your Own Memorial
Typographic Expression
Clothing Brand
Make Your Mark

Live briefs
Hot N Tasty

Collaborative briefs
(None yet, but have some planned that I haven't blogged about yet)

I really need to finish blogging what ideas I do have and start making some decisions!



No comments:

Post a Comment